The 8th National Technical Seminar on Underwater System Technology 2015 (NUSYS’15) was organized on the 21th September 2015 at the Institut Oseanografi & Sekitaran (INOS), Universiti Malaysia Terengganu (UMT), Malaysia. The national seminar was jointly organized by Universiti Malaysia Terengganu (UMT), Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), Universiti Teknologi Petronas (UTP), Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM), IEEE-OES and Subsea Explore services Sdn. Bhd. About 180 delegates among university and industrial researchers attended the seminar.
The objectives of the seminar are threefold;
- To accommodate a medium to discuss wide range of underwater system technology between universities and industries.
- To disseminate the latest technology in the field of underwater engineering
- To provide an opportunity for researchers and industries to explore the current practices in underwater system technology.
The seminar was officiated by the Political Secretary of the Ministry of Higher Education, Datuk Hj. Abd Halim Bin Jusoh, followed by a keynote address by Prof. Dato’ Dr. Nor Aieni Binti Haji Mokhtar, entitled “Diving to the Future of Underwater Technology”. The themes set by the keynote address were followed by five technical speakers delivered by representatives from universities and industries, which are;
- Decommissioning of Offshore Platform, Assoc. Prof. Ir. Dr. Mohd Shahir Liew, Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS.
- Latest Technology in Subsea Engineering Practices, Mr. Syamsul Nizam, Subsea Explore Services Sdn. Bhd.
- Subsea Riser and Pipelines, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Norhazilan Md. Noor, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia.
- Subsea Pro Simulation, Dr. Jaswar Koto, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia.
- Innovations in Underwater Engineering and Technologies, Dr. Ahmad Faisal Mohamad Ayob, Universiti Malaysia Terengganu.
A round table forum and discussions were conducted in the afternoon sessions under the theme of “The Frontier of Underwater Engineering and Technologies”. The discussions were moderated by Assoc. Prof. Dr. Khalid Samo with four panels; Prof. Dr. Rizal Arshad, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Norhazilan Md. Noor, Dr. Jaswar Koto and Mr. Syamsul Nizam. The forum aimed to raise the awareness regarding the issues governing the underwater engineering and the methods to counter and improve upon the issues.
The industrial counterpart represented by Mr. Syamsul Nizam encouraged the participants to contribute in a small and incremental way i.e. in a form of building blocks that can be shared and used by other teams. Such methods shall ease the design burden and focused on smaller dimension of issues such as thrusters, visualization, communication and workflow.
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Norhazilan highlighted that the current subsea piping system technologies has reached its maturity. Therefore he encouraged that a more intelligent system should be proposed to conduct preventive maintenance and reduce the risk of loss due to unexpected downtime.
Dr. Jaswar Koto encouraged the participants among students to utilize free software that was developed by Joint International Research Center of Subsea Technology. The Subsea Pro Software can be accessed via http://isomase.org/SRC_Software.php.
The forum also received a support from IEEE Ocean Engineering Society (IEEE-OES) Malaysia represented by Prof. Dr. Rizal Arshad. He envisaged that the participants should be backed by a society to further promote the progression of ocean engineering discipline through established networks of researchers offered by IEEE-OES Malaysia.
NUSYS 2015 received massive coverage from printed media due to the promotion of radical ideas such as offshore platform as undergraduate and research lab, and due to the seminar as the most proper media to disseminate the state of the art knowledge in ocean engineering, specifically in underwater technology.
AHMAD FAISAL MOHAMAD AYOB
Programme Director of NUSYS 2015
School of Ocean Engineering
Universiti Malaysia Terengganu
21030 Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia